How much do newborns sleep usually? it’s around 16-18 hours in every 24 hours.
Saying that though, all babies are different, and their sleep patterns that how much do newborns sleep can vary a lot from each other.
Newborns Babies don’t know the difference between day and night. They usually sleep in short bursts through the day and night.
Want to know, how long your baby should sleep for at each interval? Click here.
So when they are awake, they’re usually feeding. After feeding, they probably want to go back to sleep. A babies ‘playtime’ at this age is very short.
How much do newborns sleep cycles looks like?
Newborns have two different kinds of sleep – I didn’t know this until i started noticing how my baby would sleep.
During active sleep, newborns move around a lot and make noises. They are like half asleep and half awake and can be woken up easily during active sleep.
During quiet sleep, newborns are still. Their breathing is deep and regular. There in their dreams far far away. They’re less likely to wake up during quiet sleep.
In the first few months, it’s common for newborns to wake several times a night for feeds.
Related : Is my Newborn sleeping too much?
After 3 months your baby will probably start waking less often and have a longer period of sleep at night.
How much do newborns sleep and is considered Safe for their health
Always make sure you’re helping your baby sleep safely.
Here are some tips you can use to ensure your baby is sleeping right:
– Always place your baby on their back to sleep. Babies do have a tendency to roll onto their sides once their a little older and able to do so. This is absolutely fine as long as they roll over on their own terms.
– Place baby on a firm surface to sleep, clear of any loose bedding, pillows or sheets to avoid suffocation.
– Avoid stuffed toys near the sleeping area when babies are still relatively young. Babies need open space to breath and open space to stretch.
– Never cover your baby’s mouth with the blanket and always took under the arms.
– When placing baby in the cot or cradle, always place on foots end.
– Room share, but avoid bed-sharing.
If you wish to place baby with you on the bed this handy little thing is a must have.
How to Help Your Newborn Sleep
Over-stimulation during the day can cause your baby to either sleep too much or sleep too little.
Babies can become overtired if they stay awake too long, due to exhaustion.
Does your baby sleep too much? Learn why here.
Instilling healthy sleep habits and teaching your baby to get into a healthy sleep pattern is not impossible. A sleep schedule is very handy.
Here are some ways you can get your baby to settle down for a sleep:
1. Teach the difference between night and day: If your baby seems to sleep a lot during the day, but is wide awake at bedtime, could mean that they’re getting their days and nights confused.
Remember to keep night times dark and calm with little activity. Music is by far the most famous pre bed time activity you can instill on your baby.
A consistent bedtime routine will help your baby understand when it’s time for bed.
2. Create a relaxing environment: Adding white noise or any type of soothing music can create a calming atmosphere for your baby. Also blocking out light and keeping the room at a comfortable temperature will help your baby sleep better.
3. Form a consistent bed time routine: whatever night time routine you decide to follow, it has to be consistent. Whether its feeding, swaddling, shushing, singing, using the pacifier, you have to stick to it.
4. A healthy sleep habit is crucial: You can teach your baby to sleep independently as early as 2-6 months . You can do this by putting your baby to sleep drowsy, but awake. That way they will fall asleep on their own terms without a choice, SIMPLY because their too tired to get back up.
5. Avoid an overtired sleeper: If you’re keeping your baby awake past their drowsy stage, they’ll become overtired and fussy or hyper and active. Avoid!